Saturday, August 14, 2010

Ron Clark's story




I was inspired by a movie called The Triumph whereby the protagonist was an excellent teacher. Ron Clark was a teacher who always believed in himself that he was able to make changes in students’ lives. In this movie, he moved to New York City to teach. He made it and got a job in a public school in New York. He was a bold teacher who loved to take risk and challenge. For him, teaching is like taking risk.

He agreed to be a homeroom teacher to a class which had been labeled as hopeless class. The kids from that class were looked down. Mr. Clark insisted to help the students and promised a change in them. It was not as easy as he thought. It was beyond than that. His students were kind of rebellious, stubborn and uncooperative yet he never gave up. He knew what he wanted and he started to come out with his own rules to that class. It indicated he had a strategy to control the class which I found interesting. In fact, whenever he failed or students against him, he tried his best and negotiated with the students. There was a teacher presence in him. That was what a teacher needed to do if this situation happened.

Being a teacher was a heavy job. The reason I said so because a teacher was supposed to know or able to see the potential of his or her students. Mr. Clark in this movie already did it. Incredibly he managed to see the potential of his students and he helped them to shine the talent that they had. He made it as a part of his teaching. It was wonderful, isn’t it?

Mr. Clark was a good role model for teachers all over the world. He made changes and shined his students. He never looked down upon them. Therefore, he tried to a part of them. He tried to adapt the students’ styles in his classroom which was brilliant. Then he used relevant materials in class to teach and of course the students enjoyed it very much. They even scored in test. Even though at the beginning of his teaching, he used extrinsic motivation to promote students’ interesting in learning, then slowly it turned into intrinsic motivation when the students realized they wanted to graduate from the school.

After watched this movie, I asked myself, “What kind of teacher am I going to be?”

3 comments:

  1. So what kind of teacher you are going to be? I think I'll be a patient teacher like Mr. Clark. That sounds so nice right. Well I hope I can be. Mr. Clark is way too patient with his students. I envy that quality in him. At one point when he gave up, I was wondering whether he would have gone back to the class if not for the lady who asked him to go back because that was one time he lost it. I mean his patience towards the girl, Shameika. But he was there, till the end. Till all of them scored well. Great going Mr. Clark! It is one good movie for everyone especially teachers to be like us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if I will ever have that level of patience. It's easy to simply state on paper the sort of teacher one aspires to be, but it's another matter entirely because teachers have to also deal with personal problems outside of school, not to mention classroom politics within it. Whatever said, I'm sure we all agree that we would all like to make a difference. Time will tell if that is possible.

    Nice music app BTW! The piano version for "Numb" uses video from the game "Kingdom Hearts". Set a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if I will make it to become a good teacher. After watching all the movies, I will always think about what will I do if I'm in the same situation as the teacher's in the movie's especially in The Ron Clark movie. For me I will never be able to go down and gentle as how he did. If the students turns against me also I will not know how to control them. I really hope this practical will help all of us to learn something new and how to adapt ourselves when we are in the real world as compares in the campus

    ReplyDelete